I skipped out on a post yesterday, because, while I had a recipe to share, it wasn’t one I loved. I want this blog to be all about recipes I love and that you’ll (hopefully!) love too.
So, I’m happy to say, I’m back today with a great one! This is one of those recipes that I just kind of came up with, because I love all of these flavors and happen to know that citrus pairs well with beets.
Originally, I was going to incorporate goat cheese into this beet salad, but, if you’ve been following along, you probably know that I’m all about using what I’ve got.
This week, I happened to have blue cheese on hand (more on that later in the week or early next week). Blue cheese it was!
I’m happy to report that the combination is pretty darn good. The sweetness of the beets and the citrus from the orange and the vinaigrette benefit from the slight bite in the creamy goat cheese. Rather than add a certain softness that I think goat cheese would bring to a salad like this (go ahead and use goat cheese if you don’t care for blue cheese, by the way!), the blue cheese adds another element that makes this feel like some sort of restaurant appetizer.
I used both golden and red beets to make this beet salad extra colorful and pretty, but any type of beet would work. Just a quick tip: If you are using golden beets, don’t prepare them too far in advance—they tend to oxidize (turn brown!). If you toss them in the vinaigrette, you’ll buy yourself enough time to serve this dish to guests since the vinegar in the dressing will help acidulate them and counteract the oxidization.
This recipe takes awhile, because you have to roast the beets and let them cool. Otherwise, it’s very hands off and would be perfect for serving to guests. You can certainly make this ahead of time and it’ll be just as good. In fact, I made this for dinner last night and it was still perfect for lunch today!
- 2 medium beets, to yield approximately 2 cups diced beets
- About ¼ cup water
- About 2 T olive oil
- 6 T champagne vinegar
- 2 T orange zest
- 2 T shallots, finely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 orange, supremed (See how here)
- Blue cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. In an oven-safe dish or pan, pour enough water (about ¼ cup) to cover the bottom of the pan and splash about 1 T olive oil over each beet. Cover with foil and roast about 45 minutes, until tender. While still hot, use the blunt side of a knife to peel. Let cool. (*Note: Feel free to roast beets however you prefer. This is just my preferred method.)
- Combine vinegar, orange zest, and shallots and let sit while beets roast. When ready to serve, whisk in olive oil.
- Once cooled, dice beets and supreme your orange (See how here).Toss diced beets and orange supremes with vinaigrette. Plate and sprinkle with blue cheese to your liking. I would suggest using approximately ½ cup crumbled blue cheese for four appetizer servings of salad.