Broccoli and Sausage Stratta
What I wouldn’t give to rewind exactly 48 hours!
The crickets are still chirping here in the office and the weather outside is frightful. Brrr. We’ve had a pretty tame winter but, all of the sudden, we’re getting hit with some chilly winter weather. It’s exactly what you’d expect from New York during this time of year: a wintry mix of snow, rain, ice, and wind. It’s snuggle-up-on-your-couch-with-a-movie weather, that’s for sure (If you are lucky to be doing that, I saw Pitch Perfect last night and had a few good laughs!).
Alas, I’m sitting at my desk day dreaming about the weekend ahead and the weekend past!
Two days ago—at just about this time—we were just finishing up presents and sitting down to eat our traditional Christmas brunch.
I mentioned briefly yesterday that the highlight of our brunch is always my mom’s Stratta. For those of you who don’t know, Stratta is similar to quiche or a frittata in the sense that it’s a layered casserole made mostly of egg, cheese, and bread. From what I understand it’s an American dish that is mostly served during brunch. It’s a nice, hearty dish that’s perfect for a winter brunch.
I was actually never a fan of the Stratta, and always preferred to have a bagel and some Taylor Ham. Last year I finally gave the Stratta a fighting chance, and it prevailed. The rest of the family looks forward to this dish all year, and, I have to say, I’m starting to understand why…
This year’s last-minute broccoli addition may have tipped the scales for me. The broccoli adds some extra nutrients, a little bit of depth, and some staying power to a dish that is mainly bread and cheese. Dare I say, I can’t wait until next year when it’s time to enjoy some more Stratta again?
- 1 small loaf sour dough, French, or Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces spicy sausage, diced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- Grease an 11×17-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Trim ends from bread and discard. Cut bread into 1-inch slices and spread each slice with butter. Cut slices into 1-inch cubes.
- Spread bread cubes in the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with sausage and sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl with a whisk. Whisk in milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread, sausage and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight (minimum 6 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Garnish with broccoli and bake uncovered 45 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.