Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Between all the work I’ve got going on and a midday doctor’s appointment, this day absolutely flew by!
With three days worth of dinners with friends and a ski trip planned for this weekend, it’s sure to be a good week. Though any week that starts with muffins for breakfast is arguably a good one!
Yesterday I spent the day watching TV and baking. I never watch TV, but there were lots of good options and I was in the mood to take it easy.
While these mini lemon poppy seed muffins (I’ve been dying to make these for a few weeks now and found a great recipe on Shutterbean) baked in the oven, I watched He’s Just Not That Into You. I hadn’t seen that movie in years, but I still had a good laugh thinking of all the silly things I could relate to. One of my favorite parts? When the girls are lamenting over the many different methods of communication to get rejected by these days—email, cell phone, social network, ect. So funny!
Afterwards, I snacked on way too many of these zesty little guys while watching a Law and Order: SVU marathon and then the Golden Globes (so many pretty dresses this year!!). It’s okay…they’re mini. Right?!
Tonight, I’m cooking chicken marsala (will be sure to share the recipe if it turns out!) then parking myself in front of the TV to watch yesterday’s episode of Girls (after The Bachelor, of course).
I don’t know when I got into TV so much, but I can’t seem to tear myself away these days.
- 1 cup sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 375F and generously butter a mini muffin pan.
- Combine the sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, eggs, yogurt, milk, and vanilla. Whisk together until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the salt and lemon sugar to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter or two butter knives, cut in until butter is the size of small peas. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25 minutes, until the muffins are light golden brown, firm and springy. Unmold muffins and allow to cool on a wire rack.