Pear, Walnut, and Goat Cheese Salad
The holiday was absolutely lovely, but it’s back to the daily grind today.
I arrived to a dark, quite office. There is nobody here! You could hear a pin drop it’s so empty in this place.
No complaints here though. It’s actually pretty nice to ease back into the work week. Plus, there’s another four-day weekend on the horizon!
Yesterday we woke up to a pile of presents and exchanged gifts all around, before sitting down to a big ‘ole brunch. It’s tradition in our family to have a table full of stratta (more on that tomorrow), Taylor ham, bagels, orange juice, and hot chocolate. This year, we had a few newbies that may have earned a permanent spot on the menu. The cinnabons were obviously a big hit (who doesn’t like cinnabons?!), but the unexpected show-stopper was actually a Pear, Walnut, and Goat Cheese Salad.
It was refreshing to have some greens on the table, but this salad was by no means boring. The bitter arugula was complemented with creamy goat cheese and the perfect amount of sweetness from candied walnuts, dried cherries, pears, and a maple vinaigrette. You still felt like you were indulging in a little something special, without a ton of guilt.
This weekend my brother and I are hosting a pre-New Years weekend at our parents ski house with some friends and I’ll be cooking a little feast for everyone Saturday night. I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if a very similar salad popped up on the menu. It’s just the perfect winter salad. Plus, it’s easy to prepare and it goes with just about anything you want to serve!
I hope you all had a lovely holiday! What was your favorite gift? Any guesses as to what mine may have been this year??
- 1 4-ounce bag arugula
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup candied walnuts
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 pear, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl combine arugula, cherries, walnuts, goat cheese, and pear.
- Combine lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, and sugar in a food processor. Turn the machine on and drizzle in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. (To make dressing by hand: Combine lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, and sugar in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper).
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.