Whenever I start to talk about the weather I feel kind of lame. I mean, don’t they always say people only talk about the weather when they have nothing better to discuss? That’s totally given me a complex about making small talk about how cold it is or how hot it is. But, I do it anyway.
So who wants to talk about the weather?
As anyone living knows, it’s been FREEZING in, well, most places this week. After the snowstorm Hercules last Friday (snow day from work, woo!), we had unusually warm temperatures for about a day. Then everyone’s best friend the polar vortex arrived and the past two days have been anywhere between 3 degrees and a whopping 22 degrees—not including the wind chill.
When the wind is whipping and your finger turns red and starts to throb the moment you take off your gloves, most people I would consider to be normal would rather just hibernate. Stay in bed and call it a day–especially all you poor people in places where it’s even colder than the temperatures I’m carrying on about.
Since there’s a little thing called work, most of us have had to dress ourselves up like the little brother in A Christmas Story and brave the chilling temps with hopes that there’ll be a big bowl of comfort food waiting for us when we get home.
Since my other half recently asked me how to preheat the oven, I have to make my own comfort food or order take out. I choose Sweet Potato and Bacon Soup.
This recipe, which was heavily adapted from the November issue of Cooking Light, will warm you right up. Plus, it comes together in a pinch, is extremely tasty, and is fairly healthy (despite having the word bacon in the title).
Now, excuse me while I go home and cozy up with a nice, big bowl. And yet another episode of Law & Order.
This hearty sweet potato and bacon soup is all veggies (not a drop of cream) with a delicious hint of bacon.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise (about 2 large)
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce fresh shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend because it's what I had on hand)
- Place potatoes, cut sides down, in an 11 x 7-inch microwave-safe baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Cool, then use your fingers to peel the potato and discard the skins.
- Meanwhile cook bacon over low heat in a large saucepan until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Using the same saucepan, saute onions in the bacon fat over medium-high heat. Cook about 3 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in cumin and red pepper. Add stock to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Place half of the sweet potatoes and half of the stock mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining sweet potatoes and stock mixture. Stir in salt.
- Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; sprinkle with cooked bacon and cheese.